From product trends to window displays, successful merchandising is multi-faceted. Understanding what merchandising is and how it works in stores can be the make-or-break success of a business.
Wikipedia defines merchandising as:
Merchandising is any practice which contributes to the sale of products to a retail consumer. At a retail in-store level, merchandising refers to the variety of products available for sale and the display of those products in such a way that it stimulates interest and entices customers to make a purchase. In retail commerce, visual display merchandising means merchandise sales using product design, selection, packaging,pricing, and display that stimulates consumers to spend more. This includes disciplines and discounting, physical presentation of products and displays, and the decisions about which products should be presented to which customers at what time.
Our editorial team has covered retail merchandising extensively, if you want to make the most of merchandising in your store during 2016, then read these seven pieces to enhance your merchandising knowledge and improve your retail game!
- How To Create Great Visual Merchandising for Retailers – Visual merchandising is an important component of retail store success. Learn about how products are displayed in a store drives sales.
- Retail Store Trends: Product Bundling is an Art Form – Pick up five tips on how to use product bundling to enhance your marketing strategy. A look at the art of product bundling
- Windows of Opportunity: Create Winning Displays This Holiday Season (and Every Season) – A focused design for your window display will pull customers into your store, set you apart from the competition, and leave a lasting impression. Find out more about the importance of window displays.
- 3 Reasons Why You Need High Margin Products in Your Store – Retailers need retail products with high-profit margins. Lowering the price you pay at wholesale is key.
- Retail Trend to Know: Harmonizing with Nature – The harmonizing with nature trend is all about bringing the outdoors inside through furniture and accessories. This trend recognizes the instinctual bond between people and nature.
- Retail Trend to Know: Curated Journeys – The curated journeys trend is an exploration of antique malls, flea markets and craft fairs in search of hidden vintage treasures. These interesting items are quickly added to households in order to tell the homeowners’ stories.
- Retail Trend to Know: Retro Urban – The retro urban trend shows us that the 1950s and 1970s are back in full force. Old school style is repurposed with a sleek, modern twist. Natural materials maximize the contemporary feel among striking linear designs.